Sunday, February 8, 2009

The situation

For the last 100 years or so, Jews have struggled to return to their ancestral homeland, even if it meant displacing the people who already lived there. For centuries, Jews and Arabs lived here together in relative peace and mutual respect. But a movement began in the late 19th century for Jews from all over the world to relocate to Palestine, which centuries before was the kingdom of Israel. The most radical of these Jews insisted that God’s Old Testament promise of this land to the Israelites applied to them. Some were willing to do anything to regain the land. Violence broke out between these immigrants and the local population, Arabs who had lived here for centuries. Then World War II happened and, in the ashes of the Holocaust, world opinion overwhelmingly turned in favor of the creation of a Jewish homeland here. With no provisions made for the native population, the U.N. voted in favor of the creation of the modern state of Israel in May 1948. By some estimates, nearly a million inhabitants were forced from their houses and off their land as Jewish residents of the new nation sought to claim their new homeland.

For the more than 60 years since, these two peoples have fought over every parched inch of this land. Although neither side is innocent, one side clearly has superior power and might. The degree of control Israel’s government exerts over the Palestinian people is mind-boggling in its complexity. One small example: the mother of one of my co-workers is allowed to visit her daughter’s home only once a year, even though they live not more than 10 or 15 miles apart. Here’s another: Israel sometimes posts soldiers outside Muslim mosques and prevents men 40 and under from entering to pray. Such issues raise my ire – but cause real hardships for Palestinians.

3 comments:

Rachel Cook said...

Thanks for your summary of a long, complex history. It helps put in perspective for me. Strenuous environment to say the least. You are in my prayers.

Ingrid said...

Dear Allison,

Marc Ostlie-Olson directed me to your blog. It has been good to read about your experience in Jerusalem. I too will be spending a little time in your region during June and July. Marc suggested that I email you and "announce" my time in the city. I would love to chat with you more via email about your work and my reasons for coming.

Warm regards,

Ingrid Rasmussen
ingridarneson@gmail.com

Annie Theal said...

I'm leaving a comment in hopes you may still check this blog from time to time, even though it looks like it's been inactive for a long while. I stumbled upon it after typing 'starvation rations palestine' in a google search, trying to find an article I came across a few weeks ago, but instead I found your blog. It's beautifully written, and I'm readign through it all just now, it's like a good book you can't put down. Not to mention that the topic is as relevant today as ever, since the poor people of Palestine go on suffering, and the Israeli occupation of the Gaza, the existence of the Palestinian ghetto, remain unchallenged by international powers. If you're still living in the Holy Land, I hope you are writing a book about your experiences and reflections on life there now. If not a book, I hope someday you resume writing on this blog, because of all the things I've read recently on the situation in the Holy Land, your account comes from the heart and resonates with truth.